Friday, April 2, 2010

Ramblings

What I like about blogs and podcasts is not feeling so alone with my struggles. March was very trying and this week has been especially anxiety producing. Hurray for a new month.  I am looking forward to having a day where there are no tears (it doesn't take me much to cry but surprisingly I rarely cry at movies).  When things aren't going "perfect" I feel alone.  Reading blogs and listening to podcasts helps me realize that I am not alone, everyone has struggles with life and hearing someone else's woes and triumphs helps distract me.

I did have two big bright spots in my week.  The first was having my 10K-uestions interview posted.  I consider myself an average runner and to be interviewed and have it posted on the internet is amazing to me.

The second thing was an awesome trail run on Wednesday at South Mountain.  I love running trails and it has been months since I've run on one.  While training for the marathon I was paranoid about spraining my ankle and didn't want to go close to a trail.  Since the marathon I've been so busy that I didn't make time to go out on a trail.  Yesterday, finally, I was able to do a trail run.  Running with two guys from the RxRunning club my goal was to try and stay as close to them as possible (at least keep them in view) until the 3 mile turn around.  At track workouts these guys are so much faster than me I can never run with the boys.  I can count on one hand the number of times I can keep up with the boys so I was super excited that I was able to keep them in my sights.   Running outside on a trail, with cactus blooming with bright fuchsia flowers is so freeing. Awesome run.

Be sure to check out my giveaway and check out the answers from my Running Question Challenge of interesting things people have seen while out on a run. A couple people have seen bears, a mountain lion jumped in front of one runner and even a couple of naked people sightings.

Here is an awesome recipe for Chocolate Bread Pudding I got from Justagirl. The only problem is it SAYS it serves 8 but really it's only 4 servings because its so good you have to eat double portions.

Serves 8

1/2 loaf (8 slices) Whole Wheat Honey Bread cut into ½ inch cubes
1 1/2 cups Brownie Truffle Baking Mix (mix only, don't add anything)
2 1/2 cups whole milk ( I used skim milk)

Cut crusts off of bread and arrange in a greased pan evenly. ( I didn't cut off the crusts and it was still great)
Combine milk and brownie mix and mix well.  

Pour over bread. Push down on pieces so they all get soaked.
Set aside while the oven preheats, 10 minutes or so. Preheat 350 degrees.
Cover with foil and bake 30 minutes.
Allow to cool for 15 minutes. Serve warm.

Happy Running!

5 comments:

Katie A. said...

I couldn't agree with you more - blogging reminds me that I am "normal" in my own struggles and little victories. I am greatful for the blogging community - it makes it feel like you're not alone out on the road :)
Happy Fridy!

Tina @GottaRunNow said...

That trail run sounds fun! I hope that April will be a better month for you. : )

Carrie said...

Your trail run sounds fantastic! I love the flower. I don't think I've ever seen anything like it...so vibrant in color.

I can relate on the week. I have centered myself, but I'm still very tired (due to lack of sleep). I think tonight will be an ambien night for me.

And you are SO right about the bread pudding! LOL! I did have to have two servings. I'm glad to read that it still works with the crusts on. I *almost* left mine on too!

Kerrie T. said...

Great interview!

Glad you had a nice trail run -- they are refreshing, aren't they?

Hope your April is awesome! :)

Amber (Girl with the red hair) said...

I LOVE running the trails!! I always forget and don't run on them for a few weeks and then when I get back out there again I realize what I was missing! In fact, I think a trail run is in order for me on Sunday :)