Wednesday, May 12, 2010

All Things Running and Some Non-Running too

I have a friend who said if he isn't running he's thinking about running.  Gosh, that sounds so much like me.  I really think I missed my calling to be an elite.  Forget the fact that I'm not extraordinary and not fast and past the prime of being an elite...I love running and it would be so awesome to have a job where I could run, do something around running, be around runners, you get the picture.  But I do have a great job being around....accountants.

My friends heart surgery has been rescheduled to Thursday. Claudia is the reason I joined the running club RxRunning and I know she's in great hands but I still worry about her  She has a webpage set up where she can post updates, her story and pictures.  There is also a guestbook if you'd like to stop by and say some words of encouragement or inspiration. http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/claudiaward   


I think I'm going to go to the running camp that I posted last week.  I've hesitated because I feel guilty about  taking vacation time and not spending it with John.  If he were to go, then I'd feel guilty because I know it isn't something that interests him.  Plus with me gone, he'll have to cook for himself (its an ongoing joke if I'll leave him food in Tupperware containers like his mom used to do for his dad) and he'll have to take care of my cats, which includes mixing in a supplement with wet food.  He also will have to turn the water on for Nugget at the bathroom sink because he's a spoiled cat (see picture below where Nugget waits patiently for me to turn the water on for him)


I know I haven't posted a lot about my running.  I am running and get a weekly long run of about 10 miles in and get to the track about 2 times a month.  I have been doing more trail running with John and that's been a nice change of scenery.  On my trail run this morning I fell and went boom and had blood running down my leg.  I'm a road warrior! I kept running because it was too far to walk, it didn't hurt much, I was afraid it would tighten up if I did walk plus walking made me feel the scratches more than just running.  The scratch on my elbow hurt more than my knee.  


Yesterday I did sign up for the 5K Summer Series by Arizona Road Racer, which are five - 5K races throughout the summer in the early morning.  These are well attended with between 800-1000 runners and it should be fun even though it will be hot.  During the summer, its very hard to run fast times because of the heat but if I can continue to work on my conditioning maybe I can get a PR in the 5K in the fall.


Well that's it for now.  I'm flying to Denver in a couple hours for work.  It's supposed to snow.  I'm a hot weather gal, snow is for pictures.  I also get to see my brother and if the weather holds up then I have a special adventure on Saturday.


Happy Running!

12 comments:

Jamoosh said...

So glad and so jealous you are going to running camp. I would love to go, but it's just not in the budget this year.

Kim said...

I wish I could think of something that was a career that involves running, but all I can think of is selling shoes and I don't want to do that. Oh well.

Staci Dombroski said...

I want to go to running camp too :(

Sarah Heinle said...

Claudia will be in our prayers. Can't wait to see you Friday, though I'm a tad nervous about the adventure. I do hope weather holds up though.

Giorgio said...

It sounds like you love your job near accountants, although you haven't a job where you can run :)

I sometimes fell too while I was running. All's well that ends well :) I hope you'll have nice running adventures, Christina!

ajh said...

The 5K series sounds fun. So does camp for that matter.

Teamarcia said...

All the best thoughts continue to go out to claudia. How awesome you're going to RC! I will live vicariously thru you!

Lesley said...

The running camp sounds very cool! Where is it? How long will it last? Did I miss a previous post? :)

I've hit the dirt a few times myself, so the blood from knee to sock looks familiar! :) Hope the knee is okay now.

Natalia said...

Hmmm, sounds as though I've missed a few posts! The running camp sounds great...so does the trip to Denver though.
Stuart had a friend who left his job (lawyer) to become a courier, so that he could run his deliveries. He spent his days running through London delivering stuff. I can't remember what, but it used to call for that kind of special delivery!

Johann said...

I love running just as much and often wish I could in some way make a career out of something running related.
I'm starting trails for the year this Saturday and will surely end up with a few falls.
Enjoy your adventure!

Katie A. said...

I'm with Jamoosh - so jealous of running camp!
Plus, you'll get to come back with a gem like this, "And then, one time, at running camp..." LOL!
You are hardcore with the bloody knee!
P.S. I would love a career in running too, sadly, like you, I'm an accountant. The next best thing I'm thinking of is opening a running store or franchise and use my Business/Accounting degree to it's fullest!

Carrie said...

I'm so excited for your running camp experience! This is so cool!

Claudia will be kept in my continued prayers.

How is Nugget doing? I love this pic of the two of you (not the gash though, sorry about your cut - ouch!). I finally made our cat an outdoor cat and he has lost 2.5 pounds! We have had him on a diet since we got him last year around this time with no weight loss.

Have a safe and fun trip for work! Hopefully the snow will melt off quick and it warms up throughout the day.