Friday, July 23, 2010

Elevate Running Camp - Day 2

Blurry eyed and groggy we met at 6am for our first run of the day.  We jogged over to a field where we did skipping drills and lunges and then we were warmed up and ready for Dean's next activity.  With an evil grin on his face, we watched as he placed out orange cones in a parking lot and exuberantly explained it was exactly a quarter of a mile and we were going to do a mile time trial.  This way everyone would know what pacing should be. I was very disappointed in my 7:39 time especially since it is slower than my 5K time from last weekend.  I know the elevation is a factor but I'm still disappointed it wasn't closer to 7.

Our next activity was a lecture on types of workouts and predicting races.  There are many different workouts which Coach Dean we went over in order of importance for endurance runners ( a sprinter would have different workouts). Coach Dean said if you could only run once in a week, the most important run you could do would be a goal paced run.  The goal paced run is specific to your race distance and teaches you to run that pace. We also went over vV02 max workouts, lactate threshold, intervals, hills along with some others.

After the lecture we headed out for an exercise designed to allow us to feel our running motion without the interference of visual feedback.  We were paired up, blindfolded and walked around with a partner.  Next, we ran the same path we walked and then we ran it again, a little faster.  At one point I ran into my partner because I thought I heard someone on my right.

Our final workout were a dose of  Mean Deans.  The Mean Deans were run along the edge of a field, about 250 meters, followed by pushups, burpees, single leg hops and double leg jumps.

To end the day we'll watch a running movie and start to feel the effect of DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) creep in.

I don't have any pictures of use running but here are Rob and Kyle after dinner and before our evening running movie.

Renee shows off her Oreo cookies to Michael and Rob.  Yummy.


To end the day we'll watch a running movie and start to feel the effect of DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) creep in.

Happy Running

5 comments:

Teamarcia said...

So cool you're at camp. Enjoy!

Mark said...

Enjoying your posts...

misszippy said...

Mean Deans! Love it. Sounds like a great way to spend some time.

Claudia said...

I expect nothing less from Dean. Give my best to everyone. Check out my blog.....some uplifting news!

Johann said...

They are keeping you busy for sure. Enjoy!