In between each lap I'll do 10 sit-ups/crunches, 10 push-ups, squats, 10 single leg bridge. Sometimes I'll add in 5 lunge matrix (lunge forward, to the side, angled back), bicycle or planks.
After running a lap and going straight into exercises makes a tough workout. At the end of the workout it is tough to pounce into the exercises or do them in good form. It is a true mental workout in the heat or at any time.
Dean says Mean Deans while these won't necessarily develop speed, they do
- Build core strength.
- Build running specific strength.
- Gets you accustomed to running with great physical fatigue.
- Improves lactate threshold.
- Improves efficiency running at 5K pace.
- Mentally makes you a BEAST!
- Great variety to mundane repeats on a track.
- Perfect change up for runners plateauing, stale or bored.
- Great off-season and pre-season conditioning program to build a base WITHOUT mega miles.
You can read more about Mean Dean's on Coach Deans blog.