This mornings 4.5 mile was to be a goal paced run. I was surprised at how warm and windy it was. Normally it's not windy in the morning. Weather.com shows 69 degrees at 6am but I swear it's warmer than that. If it's this warm at the start on Sunday it may be a slower race for me. The predicted low for Sunday is 56 and at 7am it could be in the low 70's.
The wind made me thirsty and I stopped at the magic water fountain. This fountain is magic because the water blasts out and drops way back. I forgot about the magic powers bestowed on the fountain and got a nose full of water.
Back to my pace dilemma. My original goal when I signed up for the race was to run 7:58's. That is what I stupidly wonder if I should go for. My realistic goal is 8:10's or 8:15's and then pick up the pace in the middle if I feel good. But it is a race and you're supposed to push yourself. My garmin today went haywire and refused to correctly show me my instantaneousness pace during the run. It showed 7:30's even though I know it was slower. It also showed 6:40's, which I know I wasn't running. My end time was 7:43pace and it was labored. Can I keep up 8:00's for 13.1 miles?
Using the race calculator on Coach Dean's site I ran some numbers.
7:58 pace works out to be a 1:44:26 half (my PR is 1:44:19 so I would need a 7:57 pace for a PR)
8:00 is 1:44:52
8:10 is 1:47:03
8:15 is 1:48:09
8:23 is 1:50:00
There are other factors that need to be considered.
- The temperature (which looks like it'll be warm)
- wind ( I predict no wind! unless of course it is at my back at all times)
- my weight (darn chocolate from Halloween keeps sneaking its way into my hands)
- my workouts (not to bad)
- core work (could be better)
- body aches (these always pick up the days preceding a race and this time it's no difference).
- Confidence and attitude (could also be better)
Thoughts? Opinions? Advice?