Monday, May 9, 2011

Really Big Free Marathon

Coach Dean  forwarded an email about a "really big free marathon" with limited registration spots.  First thought to zoom through my brain was races aren't free.  Heck, the cheapest 5K is $25 and I only get a cotton t-shirt. Free races, unless it's a virtual race or the infamous Freeze/Sweat Your Thorns off 5K, don't exist.  Especially an organized race with shirt and goody bag.   The second thought to enter my brain waves was they must be giving free entries away.  You know, 1 out of 1 million people will win and that one person isn't me.   I followed the link and read (still in dis-belief) the race...the marathon...IS FREE.  They do require a $50 deposit which you get back if you withdraw 3 months in advance or cross the starting mats (you don't have to finish). 
If you aren't doing anything November 3rd in 2012 (lots of time to train) and want to party in Vegas, check out Really Big Free Marathon and register soon.  A free race should "sell" out quickly.

Happy Running!

10 comments:

Annette@(running)In the Right Direction said...

Thanks for visiting my blog. This seems soooo cool! I have to look into it! look forward to reading more.

Jamoosh said...

Interesting to say the least. Does this mean the 125.00 races aren't doing a good job around sponsorship?

Johann said...

That's very cool! Can't even imagine something like that over here. Interesting point by Jamoosh. So did you register?

Christina said...

That is an interesting question by Jamoosh. Outside of giving money, what does a sponsor do?

If you read the FAQ the race directors are very supportive of their sponsors and even make a point that we runners should thank them. Do we take too much for granted with the races? Expect too much? What does a sponsor expect back from a race?

I haven't registered because I've been running a half around that same time.

TiredMamaRunning said...

What a cool idea! I'm all about that F word...free!

lindsay said...

this is pretty cool. i especially like that the deposit isn't tied up in legal mumbo jumbo. hopefully the refunds will be legit and easily handled.

too far out for me to decide about now, but sounds cool.

Natalia said...

Hmmm Christina, in anthropology Mauss has explained The Gift, and even though he tries to show that sometimes a gift is just a gift, his theory falls apart in the face of hard examples. However, I will put aside these kinds of thoughts, visit the site and investigate. Thanks for letting us know!

The Green Girl said...

I registered!

Johann said...

I do think in general runners expect too much from a sponsor or race. For me it depends on the entry fee. Races have become very expensive and for some I'd expect more for what I pay.

Giorgio said...

With regards to Johann's comment, I think that there's the same problem in Italy. Most runenrs are demanding to know where sponsor's money is going.