Wednesday, May 16, 2012

16 Days Blogging in a Row and a Crappy Run

It's day 16 of the blogathon and I've managed to blog everyday. Today I don't some grand idea what to write so I'll tell you about my run, or lack of a run.

2 months ago at track I strained my hamstring.  I had ART (active release theraphy) done on it and healed enough to run the Whiskey Row half marathon. I ran Monday, Thursday and on Sunday I walked home after 3 miles because the hamstring didn't feel right. I felt like I backslid a lot. On Tuesday I had ART done again and he deemed me fit to run. This morning I went out for a run and was turning back within 1/4 of a mile.  Fit to run my foot.  I jumped in the pool for some aqua jogging and within 5 minutes I could tell it was aggravating my hip.   I dried off, went inside and jumped on the elliptical for 10 minutes because at that point I was running out of time and needed to get ready for work.

So, what does all of this mean?  CRAP! That's what it means.
Deep breath
Ok, it means I need rest. My body is telling me I'm an idiot for not listening and giving it a break when it is CLEARLY setting the rules.
I also need to keep doing my exercises to strengthen glutes, hips and core.
It means if my method of rehab isn't working to switch to something else so I'll go to a PT next Tuesday.
It means I need to ACCEPT the road to recovery is actually a roller coaster and today the roller coaster goes upside down and I'm hanging on to not fall out.

As Coach Dean says 'I'm Coming Back! I'm Always Coming Back'.

Thanks for listening. Writing it out because I need to blog about something on day 16 has been beneficial (that and the glass of red wine). I leave you with this card from Far Gone Greetings; even Pheidippides needs to stretch. 

Happy Running! (or in my case healing)

3 comments:

Running Through Phoenix said...

Hey LBR, this will work out and you'll be back to casually pacing older fat guys before you know it. Thanks for blogging!

Johann said...

Sorry about the setback. I'm sure you will work out the best way of recovering soon. Take care!

Ari @ Ari's Menu said...

Have you tried trigger point dry needling? It is ridiculously painful, but those needles are miraculous! Get well soon!