Tuesday, June 25, 2013

The Peruvian Amazon

Johann at the Run Tall, Walk Tall blog, asked if I was actually on the Amazon River.  Besides knowing that I wasn't on the actual river, I didn't know on a map where I was in comparison to the Amazon.

I was on the Tambopata River, a tributary of the Amazon River. Of course it's not specifically on this map but it is off the Madre de Dios in southern Peru.

We were down river from Puerto Maldonado, which is where we flew into.  You can see on this map the location of Cuzco (close to Machu Picchu), Puerto Maldonado and the Brazilian border

Rainforest Expeditions has three lodges and we stayed at Refugio Amazonas. 

The trail map at Refugio Amazonas. I certainly hope this isn't to scale because it seemed like the canopy tower was very close and the non-parrot clay lick was much further away.




1 comment:

Johann said...

Thanks for this! I am very intrigued by that whole area. I've enjoyed your posts about your trip so much!