Sunday, November 8, 2009

Phoenix 10K and 5K- Double Header

Today was the Phoenix 10K and 5K race.  If you preregistered the race was $20 and for an extra $8 dollars you could run both as a double header. What a deal!  If you figure dollars per mile that is a little more than $3 a mile.  I signed up for it pre-sprain otherwise I may not have done either race.  I'm glad that I did.  I'm also not allowed to whine anymore about pace, endurance, blah, blah, blah.

The 10K race was run first and 1.15 minutes later the 5K would start.  The course is two loops downtown for the 10K and one loop for the 5K.

The weather was perfect and not too cold.  I did keep my gloves and long sleeve shirt on until 30 minutes before when I went for a mile'ish warm up jog.  The bands were already starting to line the course and music was filling the air.  I jogged up to the starting point and noticed the pace signs of where you are supposed to line up.  I was going for a 7:40 pace since that is what I "try" and do my tempo runs at.   Last year I lined up appropriately at the 8 min mile pace and had to run around much slower runners.  This year, I ignored the signs and was about 7 rows back from the start.

The gun went off and we were on our way.  Since I have a habit of going out too fast I really tried to reign myself in and stay smart and ran the first mile in 7:31. As a 2 loop course, you see mile marker signs for the second loop and it was very disconcerting seeing the mile 4 sign when I was only at one mile.  Mile 2 was run in 7:36 and I was feeling ok.  I was wondering if I was going too fast to maintain the pace for 6 miles but kept it up.  Mile 3 was 7:28 according to the Garmin but that was with it going into auto-pause in the middle because of the trees and building.  This goes down as a lesson learned....turn off the auto pause on the Garmin during a race.  Around mile 4 one of John's friends caught up with me and we chit chatted a little bit and then I had to leave him in the dust (Sorry Joe).  Mile 5 I had side cramps and starting counting my left steps.  During the race I bounced between 7:30-8 min mile pace.  I knew I was doing well and was on pace for a PR.  PR you ask?  I've been whining about not being fit, not being able to run a tempo run at 10K pace for more than a mile and I get a PR?  I guess don't underestimate the energy of a race crowd, the enthusiasm of runners around you and the fun of wearing a running skirt.  I finished the 10K in 47:24 (unofficial) beating my PR by 8 seconds.  Note: Official result was 47:22; 9th out of 170 in my age group; 226th overall.  7:37 pace

I had 25 minutes before the start of the 5K and inhaled 3 Cliff Blocks and some water and lined up for the 5K.  The start line was packed and I was about 6 rows back and many recreational 5K'ers were lined up in front of me.  I don't want to sound like a snob but if you aren't fast, don't line up at the front.  It makes it really hard to run efficiently if you have to run around a lot of people.  Once the gun went off I realized just how tired I was and felt very sluggish.  I finished in 24 something.  I don't know my time yet and because I heard my Garmin go on/off multiple times, I knew I couldn't rely on the Garmin time.  I'm pleased with my time because I ran hard for the 10K and maintained a strong pace for the 5K. Note: Official result was 24:19; 3rd in my age group; 146th overall. 7:49 pace

During both races I was able to run with Craig Davidson.  If you read Runners World Craig it in the December issue on page 73 and has found over $8000 while running over the past 32 years. Craig also wears the turkey outfit during the Thanksgiving Turkey Trot and if you beat the turkey, which is a 45 min for a 10K, you get a certificate.  I am not close to a 45 yet but at least I felt good running and beating him.  He did run 22 miles yesterday and was taking it easy on today's run because he has no problem with a 45 minute 10K.

This blog posting wouldn't be complete if I didn't show you today's Google doodle, which is Elmo.

5 comments:

Marci said...

Great job... wow that is a double tempo dose!

Jenn said...

Killer job on the races!!!! I better check my Garmin. It's newer to me and I didn't even know it had an autopause! $3 a mile is a pretty good deal-I'm very jealous of your Grand Canyon trip by the way. Also, the dark chocolate M&M's. They would really go good with my coffee right now!

joyRuN said...

Dang you got SPEEDY down pat! Nice nice job on your double header :)

EricaH said...

Congrats on the PR. and you are amazing for doing both races which such great times. :)

Mel -Tall Mom on the Run said...

Wow oh wow! You are one strong lady. I can't imagine running a PR in a 10K followed by a 5K.

"Since I have a habit of going out too fast I really tried to reign myself in and stay smart and ran the first mile in 7:31" Like words out of my own mouth...of course I have yet to reign it in..OOPS!

Love the Sesame Street. Off to catch up on your Blog sorry I am BEHIND!!!