Saturday, May 24, 2014

ARR Summer Series 5K Race

In the summer when most people in Arizona lock themselves in air conditioned buildings,we crazy runners go out an run races.  Arizona Road Racers (ARR) puts on 5K races every year and calls them the summer series.  For only $50, you can run 5 races, get a run in early and have a blast.

Jacquie and I get a big kick out of being twins (I know.....super stupid) and dressed in our yellow adventure run shirts and hot pick socks. To get extra mileage in we arrived early for a 2 mile warmup and enjoyed checking out the new course through the Gilbert Riparian preserve.  

The narrow course path dictated a wave start for the 5K and Jacquie lined up with the 7min/mile group and I lined up with the 8 min/mile group.  Even with the wave start it was congested the first 1/2 mile. People around me must have thought I was crazy. With Jacquie being in front of me, when the course doubled back, I yelled WOO HOO to her.  When I passed Spiderman, I couldn't help myself and had to sing the spider-man song.

Spider-man, spider-man
does whatever a spider can
spins a web, anysize 
catches thieves just like flies

At this point spider-man corrects me.  Catches RUNNERS he says

Look out.  
Here comes the spider-man

Considering my fitness, I was pleased with my time and VERY surprised to hear I placed 2nd in my age group.  The ARR series has very serious and fast runners and I never would have placed in prior races with my time. I guess the fast women in my age group just didn't show up today.  Jacquie, got first in her age group and we hung around to get our AG awards.   

The 45-50 female age group was called and Jacquie was #1 and since I just turned 45, I was #2.  We had no idea we were in the same age group. The announced even commented we dressed the same so it was quite hilarious seeing our reactions realizing we were in the same age group and wearing the same outfit.

What an awesome morning.

Happy Running!


1 comment:

Running Through Phoenix said...

Great. Now I have that song stuck in my head. Nice racing!