Friday, May 21, 2010

Baby Ducks

Last night I got home from work and was delighted to see two baby ducks floating around in my pool.  I live by a canal and always get a smile on my face seeing the baby ducks while on my runs.  Where was momma duck?  I called John to tell him of our guests and he said he saw them in our yard this morning.  Did they wander from the canal to our house?

I called my friend Brenda, who has experience with momma and baby ducks and they built a ramp for the family to get in and out of the pool until a week later when they would leave. She recommended to look for a nest to determine if they had hatched in my yard and maybe momma was there.  Nothing.  I didn't think the chlorine would be good for the ducks and what would they eat?  What would happen when Little G (the name of our pool sweep) would come on that night? There were actually three ducks in the pool but one had died and I didn't want another to die also.  

I decided to call my vet and asked what should I do?  Catch them and bring them to the canal? Would another duck adopt them? He said they would become a bite sized meal if I brought them to the canal and to bring them in and they would get them to a duck rescue.  

Now, how to catch them.  I found a box and walked towards the duck.  DANGER! DANGER! Their baby quacks called out and they scurried across the pool.  I eyed the net but was afraid they would get hurt.  I'd just have to wait until John got home to help with my duck rescue.  I grabbed a book so I could watch them until got home.

Despite my worry the duck would get hurt in the net, John grabbed the net and walked towards the ducks.  Down the ducks dove streaking through the water, their bodies elongating as they swam to escape.  Taking the net, John followed a  ducks path with the net bringing the net up with the duck inside. Once out of the water,  I reached in and gently grabbed the duck, surprised that it didn't fight, and placed it into the box.  Duck two went just as easily.

Although the vet looked at me with puzzlement when I explained what was in the box.  She took the ducks back into an incubator where they could get warm. I'm sure they are in good hands.


13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Note to self - decline invitation to swim in pool with duck poop...

Pining for Pinterest said...

That is great that you were able to bring them to the vet for safety!!! What a nice thing :) Have a wonderful weekend!

Unknown said...

Aww, so cute. I'm glad you got them out and to the vet!

Katie A. said...

Aw, you waited and watched them till John got home - so sweet!
Have a good weekend!

Psyche said...

I also had a baby duck experience last night. At the park, though, so not quite that unusual. Aren't they just soooooo cute??

Emz said...

we've had them in our pool before but they never stayed for longer than 10 minutes or so?!

completely impressed with all you did to help them!

Zoë said...

That's so great that you helped them! Poor babies. They do get trapped in pools and drown, which is so sad. You rock for taking them to the vet! (When I was little my dad rescued some baby ducks who didn't have a momma...it was fun taking care of them).

Sarah Heinle said...

That's amazing and awesome!!

ajh said...

So glad you saved them!

Anne said...

How cool that the vet took them...great story :)

misszippy said...

Poor little guys! Glad you were able to save them.

Jamie said...

They are so cute. Glad you were able to save them!

Carrie said...

How cute! I love baby chicks! They had some at my son's Open House last week. The lady let us pet them.

That was so great of you to rescue and bring them to safety!