What top three things do you do to help pass the time while running?I'm going to make this a little tougher by excluding listen to music. And two of the three things need to be different than generic "thinking". You can list the things all the things you think about on the same line, ie think about work, think about what to have for dinner, think about you dressing your brother baby up in doll clothes (sorry bro...I thought it was funny). If you want though, you can do list than three things and then include more "thinking".
- If running fartleks by time or even distance, I'm watching the watch to see how many minutes/distance before the next phase starts. Usually I'm wondering when the rest phase starts as compared to wanting to start the fast part again.
- I count my steps, usually my left steps and if I'm really struggling with a run and I'm counting, I'll count in German. Why left steps you wonder? Well, I started counting my left steps years ago when trying to get rid of a side stitch. So now when I count steps its automatically my left steps. I'll count steps to help distract me.
- I'll focus on my form. If I'm slouching, I'll imagine a string attached to the back of my head pulling my body and helping me straighten it. I'll try and pick up my feet or unclench my hands.
- I'll plan about what to post in my blog and future topics.
- I'll figure where my mileage is for the week, think about my next long run, think about my next race.