Wednesday, November 3, 2010

There is a Hole in My Sidewalk

At work, a sinkhole has been a meeting topic; the sinkhole reminded me of  a poem that was so fitting a few years back. I found it again to reread myself, note how far I've come and I wanted to share it with you as well.  Four years ago I went through a rough patch and was doing all the self-help things I could find.  At the time I was a big Wayne Dyer fan (still am) and he talked about this poem.  At that time, chapters 1 and 2 applied, A LOT.  Chapters 3, 4 and 5 apply more frequently now...thank goodness.  Enjoy the poem and remember to walk down another street and avoid the holes in your sidewalk.


There Is a Hole in My Sidewalk
Autobiography in Five Short Chapters

By Portia Nelson

Chapter One
I walk down the street.
There is a deep hole in the sidewalk.
I fall in.
I am lost…I am helpless.
It isn’t my fault.
It takes forever to find a way out.

Chapter Two
I walk down the street.
There is a deep hole in the sidewalk.
I pretend that I don’t see it.
I fall in again.
I can’t believe I am in this same place.
But, it isn’t my fault.
It still takes a long time to get out.

Chapter Three
I walk down the same street.
There is a deep whole in the sidewalk.
I see it is there.
I still fall in…it’s a habit…but,
My eyes are open
I know where I am
It is my fault.
I get out immediately,

Chapter Four
I walk down the same street.
There is a deep hole in the sidewalk.
I walk around it.

Chapter Five
I walk down another street.

5 comments:

Johann said...

Really great! Thanks for sharing!

Adrienne said...

That's a great poem.

Ewa said...

There are a lot of holes in my sidewalk... for some I am in chapter one, for some chapter four. I have a very challenging path to walk. :)
Love Wayne Dyer also. Wish I knew how to implement some of his wisdom into my life.

GISrunner said...

Love this ... I haven't read that before now & it's definitely a keeper. Thanks!

Giorgio said...

The 4th time he saw a hole he walked around it. But was it the same hole on the same point of the path? :) That's a nice poem|