Saturday, October 3, 2009

Sprained Ankle

As you can guess from the title, I'm not a happy camper. I started my run at 4:30am so I could get it done early and go scrapbooking with my SIL. It was just before 6am and I was 8.3 miles into the run and needed to cross the street. I was watching the light, watching traffic to run across without breaking stride and next thing I know I'm tumbling to the ground. The swelling was already prominent but I was able to walk gingerly on it and felt it wasn't broken. At first I started walking towards the Civic Center where I thought there was a police station. After 200 meters I changed my mind and hobbled to the gas station on the corner.

Since I don't run with a cell phone, I was limited on what numbers I actually have memorized and John is out of town this weekend. I first tried a cab in the yellow pages and was told there was a long wait, then called my brother but got voicemail, called another cab and was actually hung up on when I said I didn't have the street address, called information to see if I could get my coaches number and he's unlisted. I called a cab and was told 20 minutes. After 30 minutes of no cab I did get a hold of my brother. All I told him was I needed a ride home and the corner streets. I probably should have filled him in with more details, like I sprained my ankle so he wouldn't worry. He came picked me up and brought me to Urgent Care. Urgent Care didn't open until 8am so he dropped me off in front so I could be first in line while he went to my house to get my wallet and crutches from when I had foot surgery a year ago.

The staff at Urgent Care were very nice and the x-rays showed no break, just a bad sprain. I'd love to say that I handled all of this well but I haven't. My crying isn't because of the pain in my foot but rather the fear of not being able to run. The disappointment that I have a kink in my training and the unknown about training and running the Tucson Marathon.

Refocusing.... I got a Krispy Kreme donut from my brother, I got a sticker that says I got an X-ray and it glows in the dark, next week is a scheduled running recovery week, I got a workout in this morning of 9 miles and I have a good excuse to watch TV and read the rest of the day. And finally, I'm still weeks away from the marathon, still have 2 more 20's scheduled and its only a sprain and I'm healthy and will heal quickly.


Lesley said...

Oh rats! Sorry to hear about your ankle! How are you feeling today, Christina? Hugs. One day at a time!

Anonymous said...

dont have time...just use this as a rest will be ok


Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about your ankle. I don't know what to say. I hope you feel better soon.

[Ashland] Dave