Sunday, February 21, 2010

Five Mile Run as a Banana Slug

I got out for the second time this week to run and boy, am I still tired. I had every intention of running 6 miles but decided on the shorter five miles instead. The last mile I felt like a giant banana slug and wondered how will I manage next weekend at Ragnar with 16 miles?  I'm hoping in a week I get more rest and zip in the legs otherwise I'll slow the team down. I have a new respect for Dean Karnazes, who ran 50 marathons in 50 days. I also have a lot of respect for people in the marathon manic club.  How they can do 2 marathons in 2 weeks is amazing and that is only for the entry level.  Some of the levels are gazillions of marathons in short time periods.

My friend Helen in Florida just qualified for Boston. She missed 3 weeks ago by 69 seconds and decided to go for it and made it.  Amazing!  Three weeks later she took 2 minutes off her time and qualified.  I put a side bar up on my blog to keep track of friends going to Boston in 2011.  Let me know if you're going and I'll add you too.

6 comments:

Johann said...

Just keep doing what you planned. the energy will be back and you'll probably feel very strong then. Slug times are usually followed by great runs.

Pining for Pinterest said...

That is great news about your friend going to Boston! One day I will get there :-)

sneakersister said...

I tried to enjoy the short, easy runs for the two weeks following my marathon. No structure. No pace goals. Just enough miles to get my legs moving. I have no idea how someone can do 2 marathons in 2 weeks either.

Congratulations to your friend, Helen. We'll have to do a meetup brunch or something when we're all up there. Glad you're keeping track of the who part. :)

Emily said...

I just met a bunch of maniacs at the race I did this weekend- they are crazy! Good luck with Ragnar...just have FUN with it! That's what the team relays are all about.

And see you in Boston 2011!

Tina @GottaRunNow said...

That's great about your friend! Here's hoping your body gets back to normal soon!

Lindsay said...

hope your legs bounce back and start feeling rejuvenated soon!

that's awesome about your friend! i think most people would definitely not aim for it again so soon after a marathon - kudos to her!