I did have 4 miles on the schedule today and got up at 0:dark thirty the wonderful time of 4:45am to run circles at the track. I am keeping the intensity of my runs up even with the reduced mileage. I actually think the last two weeks my speed work and tempo runs have been harder and more consistent than pre-taper. I have felt soreness in my legs that usually I don't experience. Maybe that is why I'm worrying about too many miles. Through the dark I ran the short mile over to the high school track and ran 2 miles of 100 meters. I ran 100 meters, probably about a 5K pace, then jogged 100. Of course while running my 100 meters at almost 30 seconds per 100, I thought about Usain Bolt and his world record of 9.58 second for 100m. He could run three 100 meters in the time it took me to run one.
Interesting facts about Usain from his website
- Holds the world record in both the 100m and 200m, 9.58 and 19.19 respectively (2009 World Championships-Berlin)
- Holds the world junior record in the 200m, 19.93 (2004)
- Youngest male world junior champion at age 15 winning 200m (2002 Kingston, Jamaica)
- First junior to run sub-twenty second in 200m event (2004)
- Signed with Puma at age 16 becoming the youngest athlete to be signed by Puma
- He is 6'5 and is 23 years old