Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Track Workout 800's

I'm still stoked about last nights workout. 2x (4x800) with 90 seconds rest between reps and 3 minutes between the two sets.  Hollon, who was only going to run 6,  was coerced into running all 8 with me.  I reasoned with him that he was running 8 but at a slower pace than if he ran the 6 by himself making it an easier workout.

There was a light rain with no wind and it was relatively warm making it perfect shorts weather. My goal was to run them about 3:35 with the eventual goal in the next 16 weeks to run 10 x 800's at 3:35 to predict my next marathon.  I ran them in 3:34, 3:32, 3:29, 3:31, 3:27, 3:31, 3:30 and the final one at 3:26 and I felt good.  Next time we do 800's I'll add the extra 2 and see how that goes.  Having someone to run these 800's with me made a big difference.

This workout gave me confidence because I was able to do the workout and felt good even at the end.  I felt like I could have run the 2 more.  Monday starts my marathon training for Boston (although I'm on vacation in Disneyland) and if I build up my long runs and keep running strong 800's, I will be well trained for April.  When I trained for my last marathon in February 2010, I was towards the end of the training cycle when I was able to run the 800's strong and it was at a slightly slower pace.

Happy Holidays and Happy Running!

7 comments:

Johann said...

Fantastic workout, well done! Wow, Boston training is right here, exciting! Have a wonderful Christmas!

misszippy said...

Nice numbers there! You will completely rock Boston!

Natalia said...

Good solid stuff! Sounds like you are ticking all the right boxes......April is almost here and you will be in tip top form! Merry Christmas and happy New Year to you and John. Have fun in Disneyland!

The Green Girl said...

Whoo hoo! Awesome times there, girl! You are so ready to start your Boston training!

Giorgio said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Giorgio said...

Great average pace! you're really ready for your Boston training :)

Have a beautiful Christmas holiday!

The Boring Runner said...

Wow, felt good at the end?! That is awesome!! You need to tack on the extra two to round out the yasso test for sure.