Kara's blog post confirms:
- Even the elites get injured. The injury monster isn't biased about who it attacks.
- Elites have access to some pretty sweet equipment. Who wouldn't want to run on an underwater treadmill?
- Running through an injury isn't always the best solution.
- Sometimes a setback isn't a true setback in the big scheme of life
- Injuries suck (big monkey balls)
A couple things struck me about her post. She had the tight hip for months and that became "normal" and she continued to run through it. She used ART (active release therapy) to help manage the tightness but even ART (which has worked wonders for me lately) wasn't THE answer. It's muscle imbalances that she can remedy or improve with specific strengthening exercises. I'm sure her regular routine includes various exercises but in this case the exercises weren't addressing the specific areas. We runners love to just go out and run and ignore the exercises but those exercises help keep us running.