Wednesday, May 2, 2012

A New Adventure in Yoga

Yoga is touted to have many benefits and I've been interested in trying it from the stand point of staying healthy for running. A couple years ago I bought a Yoga DVD that sat wrapped in the package until I bought a new DVD player and needed to test the playing functionality.  After testing the DVD did in fact run, the disk sat there waiting to be played.  About a year ago, I bought a Groupon for a yoga studio less than a mile away from my house and the Groupon has since expired.  The class schedule didn't work well for me and I'd rather be running anyways.

When Amanda at Run To the Finish posted about her May Yoga Challenge and her giveaway for My Yoga Online I knew I had to check out the website. The videos that are available look amazing.  Videos on  postnatal yoga, pilates, meditation, beginning yoga, regular yoga, cleansing and more.  There's even some sort of cooking videos too.  Since time is often limited and I have a short attention span, the lengths of the videos of 6 minutes to an hour were really appealing.

For $9.95 a month I decided to sign up and give it a try. After all, if I watch just one a month I'd feel like I got my monies worth.

After waking up with the sun at 4am, I decided to try my first beginning yoga video called Discovering Sun Salutations.  The moves were easy and I enjoyed the stretches and breathing exercises and the 25 minutes went quickly.  This afternoon I even fit a 6 minute breathing video.

I recommend you check out the website and watch the video samples that are long enough to get a good feel  of the content and if watch many of them you can create your own workout. (disclaimer I haven't gotten paid for my glowing recommendation (or at least yet...hint, hint myyogaonline))

Do you participate in yoga classes or videos?  

Happy stretching!



3 comments:

Unknown said...

That's crazy that you're involved in this blogathon. It started as an extension of an online writers group I belong to with Michelle Rafter, and it's exploded. Awesome!

Yes, the BF and I do yoga at his niece's studio near my house. We've been doing it since a few months before his heart surgery. We try to go twice a week, though some weeks are more difficult to manage than others. But we love it. We really love it.

How are you?

Lindsay said...

I have a yoga DVD, but usually when I start to do it I will get distracted by the messy state my house is in and end up stopping the DVD to "do chores". Shortly thereafter I usually quit out of laziness and sit on the couch or something equally as productive.

Unknown said...

I believe yoga is great for all kinds of athletes. It requires dedication and huge physical capacities. To prepare your body for regular trainings and to improve your results the proper nutrition is vital. I am taking Military Grade Nutritionals. These dietary supplements were developed for soldiers, but they are good for everyone, who wants to keep fit. They provide sustainable results and help me improve my shape quickly.