Friday, March 26, 2010

Does Water Freeze Due to Wind Chill - Day 3 of Backpacking in the Superstitions


Laying in my cozy sleeping bag with my head covered, I heard the dog bark and a murmur of voices.  I poked my head out and even with my eyes still closed, I was blinded by the brightness. I climbed out of the tent to start the conversation with the others about how cold it was and the frozen water. In case your wondering, water freezes only based on the outside temperature, which is measured 4 feet off the ground;  the wind chill factor can not freeze water.

Deep in the Superstitions is a waterfall taller than Niagra Falls.  Imagine that....in the middle of desert mountains is a tall waterfall that runs only a couple months a year.  We were going to drop our packs when we got to the trail and do the ONLY 2 mile hike to the falls.  Dropping the packs and hiking is always so wonderful.  You feel so light and free.  It was a good thing too because it was a steep decline and it was also more than 2 miles in. We made our way down to the creek and started working our way upstream.  The boulder hopping we had done the two days before was nothing compared to the scrambling we did to get to the falls.  There were points of tiredness where we thought we should turn back but we kept trudging on.


When we finally got there it was spectacular and to me, this was the prettiest place in the Superstitions.



We didn't bring our water pump and we were almost out of water and wouldn't have enough for the steep, warm hike out.  Luckily another couple was down there with a water pump and we were able to fill our Camelbaks. The hike out was steep but it is really is easier going uphill, especially without packs on.


Overall it was a great trip and once again I learned to not underestimate a backpacking trip. I also learned that 2 miles is never truly 2 miles and don't go the direction there are no cairns.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love waterfalls. You are making me jealous!

Anonymous said...

I loved reading about your day backpacking adventure. I don't know how I would handled the cold, but I'm all psyched to get out and do some hiking now. Just got to get my kids off Facebook ! Thanks for sharing this with us.

Carrie said...

This was really Fantastic! Thank you!

I'm sitting here with the heater on. I'm glad, because it is keeping me warm at the thought of wind-chill.

Okay and I have not forgotten the recipe! I was in and out earlier. I got this great recipe book, Cooking With all Things Trader Joe's. I remember you bought daffodils there recently. If you get a chance, pick this cook book up! I can't wait to try many of the recipes. This one is called - Honey, I Ate the Chocolate Bread Pudding. It is super easy and very good.

Serves 8

1/2 loaf (8 slices) Whole Wheat Honey Bread
1 1/2 cups Brownie Truffle Baking Mix (mix only, don't add anything)
2 1/2 cups whole milk

Cut crusts off of bread and arrange in a greased pan evenly.

Combine milk and brownie mix (I whisked it) and pour over bread. Push down on pieces so they all get soaked.

Set aside while the oven preheats, 10 minutes or so. Preheat 350 degrees.

Cover with foil and bake 30 minutes.

Allow to cool for 15 minutes. Serve warm.

This was delicious. There are chocolate chips in the mix. They get all gooey and warm.

Carrie said...

Oops, you cube the bread in 1/2x1/2 inch cubes! :o)