Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Ragnar Relay (or any other 24 hour running relay) Packing List

How do you pack for Ragnar Relay or any 24 hour race like Epic Relay, Hood to Coast or some of the other races that have sprung up?  Even though I go through a checklist each time (send me an email at cheinle(at) cox(dot) net you'd like a copy) there is always something I want to bring/change for next time and my list is always changing.  Packing for a 24 hour relay race is pretty challenging.  Especially if you like to always be prepared for anything.  If you need to fly to the race, then your challenges become 10 fold depending on if you check luggage or not.  I'm leaving on Thursday morning for Ragnar Florida Central to run another relay and am too cheap to check luggage and need to fit it all into a suitcase and a carry-on. Let's see if I'm successful?

Back in June 2010 I posted what I was taking on Wasatch Ragnar but after looking at the statistic tab, I realized there are many people looking for information on what to pack.

The three most important things for Ragnar and have to be checked in at the start or at Exchange 6 for van 2 are headlamp, buttlight and night vest.  These are required and necessary for your safety.  Don't try and buck the system...make sure you have your night vest and headlamp on ANYTIME you step foot outside the van after dusk.

The next three important things are your running shoes, running socks and clothes.  Even if you only have one of each, you'll be able to run Ragnar.  You may stink and get ridiculed by your van mates (heck they may tie you to top of the van to air you out) but you'll be able to complete a Ragnar with minimal discomfort.  I can't tell you how many stories I've heard of people losing their shoes, bringing mismatched shoes or even having their luggage lost and their shoes were in the suitcase.  For that reason, my running shoes go on the plane with me and some people will even wear their running shoes on the plane to be 100% positive they have their shoes with them.

Next four things of must haves on my list is my water belt, earplugs, pepto bismal pills and extra toilet paper.  If my leg is more than 4 miles or its hot out, I'll run with my own water.  There have been accidents in the past with vans giving the runner support where if the runner carried their own water, there would be no need for a fellow runner to even attempt to cross the street.  They can stop and cheer in the safety of the van or from the side of the road.  Earplugs are a must for sleeping in group sleeping areas or in the van.  I'll even take a couple extra pairs to give to my teammates or if I lose my pair (that's happened and it was a sleepless night).  Sleep is so minimal already for the race improve your chances of catching 2 hours of sleep. The pepto pills....the 2 am gurgling and looking at butt lights fallen in the portapotty can be minimized with these fantastic little pink pills. And finally the extra TP...need I say more? There is nothing worse than going to the portapotty and discovering there is no TP (except being sweaty, putting a TP layer around the seat and having it stick to you when you try and leave)

Naturally other things to pack are clothes for each running leg nestled in a ziplock baggie.  After running your leg, pull out the next bag of clothes and put your stinky clothes into now empty bag and your van mates will love you.   Bring your medicines, moleskin and KT Tape, which is the latest cool thing to have for aches and injuries.  If you have an IT band problem, find a smaller sized foam roller and bring that too.  You'll have other runners clambering to get a couple minutes on it. Another tip is have baby wipes for everyone to use along with a garbage bag that is emptied at each major exchange which will keep the van neat and tidy.

At Vegas Ragnar I declined bringing a sleeping bag and opted for a blanket instead thinking the blanket would be used in the van (which it was) and for sleeping.  The problem was I froze my butt off trying to sleep in the damp outside with only a blanket.  I promised next time I would have a sleeping bag.   I have no idea how I managed this but I was able to fit my sleeping bag, sleeping mat and clothes inside the suitcase. I also bring my backpacking pillow, a wonderful small and condensed luxury.  Remember, there is limited space and if everyone brings a fullsize pillow along with sleeping bag, the space gets eaten up fast.

Other things to bring Garmin (don't leave home without it), sunglasses and sunscreen.  One last thing to bring is a good attitude full of patience (especially at 2am when everyone is tired and cranky) and your sense of humor.

Happy Running!

6 comments:

Johann said...

Awesome post! A lot of people can benefit from a good "what to pack" list.

Ewa said...

This looks like a very complete list. You are ready to go. Have fun.

Black Knight said...

More or less the same things that I packed when I was in the Coast Guard and I had to sail for a couple of days....
Very good post with an useful list.

OffHandMouth said...

You are so organized! I love it!

lizzie lee said...

I highly recommend instead the plastic bag for the sweaty clothes the following: when you finish your leg, do NOT put the sweaty clothes in a plastic bag, but in a recycle bag (those "green"). Throw the sweat clothes in the recycle bag, and pour a lot of baking soda. It works. It doesn't smell and baking soda will not ruin your clothes. Plastic bags allow the bacteria to get stuck in your clothes forever... plus when you open the plastic bag for the second leg it'll be pretty bad...let alone the third leg.... Not to mention when you get home!!!!

lizzie lee said...

And yes, if you fly, carry your shoes with you. It's less hassle to spend some more minutes in the airport security area taking your shoes off, than being shoeless and having to run with stiff new shoes...